East Cesar Chavez | 78702
Where deeply-rooted culture and history meets some of Austin’s most popular cuisine and nightlife – East Cesar Chavez / the central “east side.” Experience authentic Austin through family-owned restaurants and businesses, music venues, art galleries, and bars, food trucks and breweries full of life and personality.
Average List Price: $791,950
Lying just east of I-35, the East Cesar Chavez neighborhood runs west to Chicon and the Holly neighborhood, and north to south from East MLK Boulevard to Lady Bird Lake.
With many of its homes built in the early 1900s, the East Cesar Chavez neighborhood is one of Austin’s oldest. The area running east to west from Waller to Chicon and north to south from Third street to sixth street was originally a freedmen’s town named Masontown or Masonville, after brothers Sam and Raiford Mason who bought the land in 1867. However, by the 1980s, this area became less of its own distinct neighborhood and lost many of its original landmarks.
In 1999, the city adopted a new “Neighborhood Plan” for the central east side, and began promoting mixed-use developments that were built through the 2000s and caused gentrification in the area. Just from 2000 to 2005, property value in the neighborhood shot up 100%, changing the landscape and demographics of the area drastically. Since then, the east side has continued to undergo gentrification, though several non-profit organizations within the city have fought to preserve its history, culture, original landmarks and public artwork.
For a bite: East 6th Food Truck Park, Cisco’s Restaurant Bakery and Bar, Quickie Pickie, Ramen Tatsu-Ya, Halal Time, Licha’s Cantina, Tamale House, Spicy Boys, Launderette
For a drink: La Perla, Whisler’s, Ah Sing Den, Lazarus Brewing, Latchkey, Lefty’s Brick Bar, Kitty Cohen’s, The Liberty, Native Hostel
For fun: Hotel Vegas, Take Heart, Scoot Inn, Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In, Groundfloor Theatre, Skylark Lounge, Secret Beach
For the kids: Thinkery, George Washington Carver Museum, Chicano Park
Our Local Agent’s Picks: Alicia’s Top 6
Bell Real Estate agent Alicia is a proud resident of the east side. Check out Alicia’s top picks for a guaranteed beautiful day in her neighborhood.
- Oseyo – for some of the best Korean food in town. Beautiful ambiance. Great patio. Spectacular cocktails and wine list.
- Bento Picnic – for casual, healthy Japanese-inspired cuisine + a cute wine shop on-site.
- Juan in a Million – for the best breakfast tacos in the neighborhood. Juan is usually there to greet you and give you the best handshake in town. It’s super busy in the mornings, especially on the weekends, but just go!
- Long Play Lounge – for live music and a big patio in this awesome ATX dive bar. Don’t forget to check out the record collection – they’re for sale!
- Mr. Natural – for the best vegetarian food on the east side and one of the best in town. This is old school Austin. Alicia says the crispy tacos are the BEST!
- Black Swan Yoga – for a heated Vinyasa class with a chill vibe and wonderful teachers. Alicia’s go-to yoga studio in town.
Considering a move to East Cesar Chavez? You can browse all active listings in the area here, or contact our local agent Alicia Corbett for more personalized assistance.